California Street Cable Car

Number of Operating Cars 12
Lenth of Car 30'-3"
Width ofCars 8'
Height of Car 10'-2"
Weight of Cars 16,800 lbs.
Capacity Seating 34
Total Capacity Seating / Standing 68



California Street Cable Car Roster

No. 49

Built new by Muni in its cable car building shops. The car body at the MuniÁs Woods Division carpentry shop and at Pier 80 for the running gear. Dedicated on Dec. 5, 1992. Prior No. 49 was built in California Street Cable Railroad Company shops, located in the company's barn at California and Hyde Streets in 1912. Originally No. 40, it was renumbered No. 6 in Sept. 1957 and then No. 49 the next month. It was scrapped on August 20, 1990.

No. 50

Built in California Street Cable Railroad Company shops, located in the company's barn at California and Hyde Streets in 1912. Assigned to the OÁFarrell, Jones and Hyde line until 1954. In December 1957, No. 50 was transferred by Muni to the California Street cable line.

No. 51

Built by the W.L. Holman Company for the California Street Cable Railroad Company in 1906, after the Earthquake and Fire of April 1906 had destroyed its cars. HolmanÁs shops were located at 18th & Indiana, San Francisco. No. 51 was the last car operated on the former Cal Cable (then Muni) O'Farrell, Jones and Hyde line, in May 1954. Also, No. 51 was the first bottom-grip car to operate in revenue service on Muni's rebuilt California Street cable car line, December 22, 1957.

No. 52

Built new by Muni in its cable car building shops. The car body at the Muni's Woods Division carpentry shop and at Pier 80 for the running gear. It entered service on Feb 2, 1996. The first No. 52 was built as No. 18 by John Hammond & Co., San Francisco, for the California Street Cable Railroad Company in 1906. It was renumbered from No. 18 to No. 3 in Sept. 1957 and renumbered to No. 52 the next month. The car was in storage for 27 years. It was judged to be in too poor a condition to be rehabilitated in the 1982-84 rehabilitation program, and was scrapped in 1984.

No. 53

Built by the W.L. Holman Company for the California Street Cable Railroad Company in 1906, after the Earthquake and Fire of April 1906 had destroyed its cars. Holman's shops were located at 18th & Indiana, San Francisco. Assigned to O'Farrell, Jones and Hyde line until May 1954. Began service on California Street line December 1957.

No. 54

Built by John Hammond & Company for the California Street Cable Railroad Company in 1906, after the Earthquake and Fire of April 1906 had destroyed its cars. Hammond's shops (1907) were located at 820-836 7th Street, San Francisco. Originally No. 19, it was renumbered to No. 4 by Muni in September 1957 and renumbered to No. 54 the next month. Always assigned to the California Street line.

No. 55

Built by John Hammond & Company for the California Street Cable Railroad Company in 1906, after the Earthquake and Fire of April 1906 had destroyed its cars. Hammond's shops (1907) were located at 820-836 7th Street, San Francisco. Originally No. 8, it was renumbered to No. 55 October 1957. Experimentally painted, February 1952, in the then standard Muni livery of green and cream. Soon repainted back to traditional Cal Cable maroon, gray and tan. Always assigned to the California Street line.

No. 56

Built in California Street Cable Railroad Company shops, located in the company's barn at California and Hyde Streets, in 1913. Rebuilt by Muni 1984 using seats from first No. 52. The car body at the Muni's Woods Division carpentry shop and at Pier 80 for the running gear. Assigned to O'Farrell, Jones and Hyde line until May 1954. Began service on California Street line December 1957.

No. 57

Built in California Street Cable Railroad Company shops, located in the company's barn at California and Hyde Streets in 1914. Renumbered, by Muni, from No. 57 to No. 11 in September 1957, but changed back to No. 57 the next month. Always assigned to the California Street line.

No. 58

Built in California Street Cable Railroad Company shops, located in the company's barn at California and Hyde Streets in 1914. Assigned primarily to O'Farrell, Jones and Hyde line until May 1954. Began service on California Street line December 1957. No. 58 was the last car to operate on the former California Street Cable Railroad (then Muni) Jones Street Shuttle, February 6, 1954. Began service on California Street line December 1957.

No. 59

Built by Muni, entered service July 31, 1998. First No. 59 was built in 1906 by Hammond. Originally No. 15, it was renumbered to No. 59 in Oct. 1957. Old No. 59 was sent to New Orleans where it is on display in City Park at Popp's Fountain.

No. 60

A new No. 60 was built by Muni (1998) and went into serive in 2002.
Historical note about old car No. 60: Built by John Hammond & Company for the California Street Cable Railroad Company in 1906, after the Earthquake and Fire of April 1906 had destroyed its cars. Hammond's shops (1907) were located at 820-836 7th Street, San Francisco. Originally No. 16, it was renumbered by Muni to No. 60 in October 1957. It was rebuilt in 1968-69, at Muni's Elkton shops, using the original roof and seats
Cable Cars